Collection Visu.Pho - Visual Photograph

Moses Moses family Rose garden dedication

Identity area

Reference code

US IlHpHS Visu.Pho

Title

Visual Photograph

Date(s)

  • 1853-2003 (Creation)

Level of description

Collection

Extent and medium

3 Linear Feet : 5 Boxes

Context area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Name of creator

(1888-1915)

Administrative history

"In 1888, when the Northwestern Military Academy opened in Highland Park, locals thought a boys' military academy would cause problems in town. Just the previous year, the U.S. Army post Fort Sheridan had opened on the town's doorstep with fears of drunken brawls (which never were a problem).

The animosity for the academy was reflected in the children's taunts as they called the new cadets "Dead Cats."

The academy was founded by Harlan Page Davidson (1838-1913), a graduate of Norwich University, a military college in Vermont. Harlan purchased Highland Hall in Highland Park and renovated it for his academy in which he strove to provide a good education, military discipline and structure, and moral training. The cost to attend was $400 in 1888, and by 1908 had risen to $600 with enrollment averaging about 50 cadets per year.

The first Northwestern Military Academy building was built as the Highland Park House hotel in 1873 at St. Johns Avenue and Ravine Drive. In 1876, it began to be used as an educational institution for young women during the summer and was known as Highland Hall. Harlan P. Davidson purchased the building in May 1888 for his military academy.

When the academy was destroyed by fire only a few months after opening, on November 1, 1888, the people of Highland Park set aside any misgivings and made meals for the cadets and opened up their homes to the displaced boys. Rebuilding of the academy progressed rapidly and not one day of classes was missed.

The academy's second building was designed by William W. Boyington and completed in 1889. It was made of brick and able to accommodate 75 cadets.

By the 1890s, the academy's reputation had made it possible for many cadets to be offered direct admission to colleges and universities.

By 1908, the academy offered naval encampments in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, and in 1911 officially became a military and naval academy. After another fire in the academy's main building in 1915, the school moved permanently to Lake Geneva.

In 1996, the academy merged with St. John's Military Academy in Delafield, Wisconsin, and together are known as St. John's Northwestern Military Academy."


  • This summary was provided by the Lake County Discovery Museum. For further information and images that accompany this summery, please see the link below.

http://lakecountyhistory.blogspot.com/2011/04/northwestern-military-academy-highland.html

Name of creator

Administrative history

Name of creator

Biographical history

Name of creator

Biographical history

Name of creator

Biographical history

Name of creator

Biographical history

Name of creator

Biographical history

Name of creator

Biographical history

Name of creator

Biographical history

Archival history

Mixed.

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Varied. Please see archivist for accession logs.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

This collection is made up of general photographs from the Highland Park Historical Society archives. It is comprised of 17 (artificial_ series with 29 sub series. The series are divided into topics with the sub series dividing some of the larger series into more specific smaller topics, while remaining general. The topics that are covered in this collection include places, locations, buildings, negatives, and people. Many of the images were done at the Brand Brothers Studio in Highland Park. Their photographic contribution to the documentation of Highland Park through the years is vitally important and the majority of the images held by HPHS.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

The collection is organized alphabetically by topic, yet within each box and folder the items have been left as in situ as possible.

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

None known.

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Many of the photographs are older and in fair condition. They have bent and torn areas and must be handled with care.

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Note

This collection was created via an antiquarian amalgamation of images from the entirety of the HPHS collection. For research purposes, this collection has been reorganized into series and sub series for convenient use.

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Archivist's note

Processed by Konstandina D Argyropoulos, 2012.

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Physical storage

  • Box: 1
  • Box: 2-4