Item 2013.17 - No. 28 Brick from Ft. Sheridan Hospital built in 1892 : Made from clay pits onsite and fired on post.

Identity area

Reference code

US IlHpHS 2013.17

Title

No. 28 Brick from Ft. Sheridan Hospital built in 1892 : Made from clay pits onsite and fired on post.

Date(s)

  • 1892 (Creation)

Level of description

Item

Extent and medium

1.0 Item [Real object] ; 20.0 x 9.5 x 6.0 cm.

Context area

Name of creator

(1887-1993)

Administrative history

The conception of Fort Sheridan began as a result of the Haymarket affair in May 1886. Chicagoans concerned with the outbreak of violence petitioned Congress to install a military base nearby to Chicago, if the need should arise. Marshall Field led the petition to reserve land for the military base; and 632 acres of land were reserved for Fort Sheridan. In 1894 troops from Fort Sheridan were sent into Chicago during the Pullman Strike. During World War I, Fort Sheridan became a Reserve Officers Training Center. After the war, the fort expanded its duties to treat patients during the 1918 influenza epidemic. During World War II, the fort was a Recruit Reception Center. The fort also served as administrative control headquarters for prisoners of war camps in Illinois, Michigan and Wisconsin. Approximately 15,000 prisoners were placed under their responsibility. During the Korean and Vietnam conflicts, the fort continued as a reception and processing center for military personnel. In the early 1980s, a portion of Fort Sheridan was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. By the mid 1980s, the reduction of military personnel staff began and its function shifted to supervision of reserve activities around the Midwest. By the early 1990s, the Deptartment of Defense downsized: Fort Sheridan was among the first to be closed during the first round of military base closures. However, the Fort continued to support troops during Desert Storm and Desert Shield until it officially closed in 1993.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Donated by Marlisse Levin.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Commemorative brick created after closure of Fort Sheridan military base in 1993.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

None.

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places